Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Puppies go in the big boy potty
I wish I had a picture for this post. I wish I had a picture of Brooklyn's reaction, the puppy in the potty, and Brooklyn's look at how proud she was. Here is the story. On Sunday we were playing as a family in the basement. Of course, the puppy was downstairs with us. Well, Brooklyn informed us that the puppy had had an accident on the floor. Tom went and cleaned it up and while this was going on Brooklyn was chastising the puppy for going to the bathroom where it didn't belong. Her words: "No, no puppy. Puppy in potty" She repeated it several times. After Tom cleaned it up we went back to doing what we were doing then I looked over at the bathroom and Brooklyn had put the puppy in the toilet. We raced over and rescued the puppy and told Brooklyn "No, no, puppies aren't supposed to go in the toilet." We put her in timeout. Brooklyn sobbed while in timeout. Normally she just knows that it's coming and deals with the timeout. During the timeout Tom and I had some time to take a step back at the situation and access it. We were wrong in putting Brooklyn in timeout. Here is Brooklyn's reasoning: Puppy pooped and big dogs don't poop on the floor, they poop outside and since we can't get outside from the basement, puppies go poop in the toilet, like big girls do. Brooklyn was only helping the puppy be a big dog just like she is a big girl. Sorry Brooklyn...newbie parents here. We are learning with you...and so is the puppy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
That is really cute. Wouldn't the world be so perfect if we all did things with a child's reasoning? I think so. They think a lot more clearly than adults do! Don't worry aoubt the time-out thing. We have all been there! That is a really fun story :)
hahah thats funny. sad but funny, she was only trying to help! its amazing how fast their little minds pick up on things, and how things work...
I'm glad you didn't take the time to get a picture of the dog in the toilet like you did with Kenz and the food bowl:) haha She's such a good helper! We sure love those little girls.
Ahhh, still laughing. What a great story.
Rich is still my guinea pig, Michelle. We live and learn with our kids. Great story! A picture would have been worth a thousand words.
Post a Comment