Sunday, September 21, 2008
Top of Utah Marathon...Check!
I did it! I ran my very 1st marathon in 4:28:44 on Sept. 20, 2008. That means I averaged 10 minute miles throughout the entire race. I ran the entire race. I only stopped to use the bathroom and to drink water. I can't believe I did it. My soreness proves otherwise. :) Lou posted a bunch of pics too so go to: http://benandlaurafamily.blogspot.com/ The events started the night before. We went to the carb load dinner at the Coppermill. The girls danced to the live band and I even won a $60 prize! We sat next to a guy who bragged running 10 marathons (he had every right to brag!) and told me he runs a 3:30 every year. What's funny is that as I was running, I passed him early in the race. I didn't see him at all after that. hmmm. After the dinner we visited with the Grovers (family friends of the Halls) then headed to bed...sort of. We had quite the night with the girls because for some reason they thought it was party time because we were all in the same room. We kept having to tell them it was nigh nigh time and to go to sleep. We would hear giggling and lots of movement. Goof balls. At 4:30 I caught a bus to the park then from the park they bussed us up to Harris Ranch. I got there around 6am, went to the bathroom like 4 times because I was so nervous and the race started promptly at 7 am. About 2 miles into the race the excitement from the starting line wore off so I decided to listen to some tunes. Well, when I went to turn my ipod on, it was dead. Oh man...I had 4 hours to go with just my thoughts. Oh man. I even spend a good part of the day before finding all of my favorite music just to keep me motivated during the race. So, as the race progressed I calculated times in my head, listened to other people talk and just let my mind wander. I was surprised that I didn't really get bored. The run was absolutely beautiful. The fall colors were amazing especially through the canyon. What a beautiful run! I also got to meet a famous runner. It is this guy who has pushed his son (who is in a wheel chair) over 75 marathons. He is such an inspiration! I had the priviledge of talking to him for a good 15 minutes. I think the hardest parts of my run were mile 10, 18 and 22. Mile 10 because any food/sugar I had in my system had been exhausted and I was waiting for some food at mile 11. Note to self: bring food! Mile 18 was tough because I still had 8 to go and my legs were burning. It was discouraging. Mile 22 was really hard because I had never gone that far and 4 miles seemed SO far! The last 2 miles I had so many emotions going through my head. I cried and kept having to tell myself I could do it. There were people along the side of the road cheering me on and everytime I saw a family member it gave me more energy. They really have no idea how much their support got me through the race. My girls even cheered for me. Brooklyn kept saying, "go momma go go go". At about 1/2 a mile to go a girl behind me said that she was going to race me at the end and that I better sprint. Being the competitor that I am I took her up on her challenge. To me, I sprinted at the end. But all spectators around me would see that I jogged through the finish. Either way, I wanted to puke and drop at the same time. I think I would have if I were alone and there weren't thousands of people watching. They said my name over the loud speaker as I finished and I gave my mom and sister a big hug. Wow! What a sense of relief and pride! I would do it all over again for that feeling. Will I do it again? The verdict is still up in the air for that. I think I want to tackle a triathalon next. Any takers?
In the hotel at 4:30 am ready to go! I was sooo excited to get started.
Me running with Tom. He got on his bike and rode the last 6 miles of the race with me. That meant a lot to me because those were the hardest miles of my life and he was there to get me through. I set a goal to get under 4 hours and 30 minutes and Tom kept me on track with my speed and motivated me the whole way. I have the best husband in the world.
That's me in the blue crossing the finish line. My actual time was 4:28:44 because our time starts when you cross the start line and I was in the back of the pack. I met my goal!!! As I was crossing I wanted to throw up, and collapse at the same time. It's like your mentally set yourself up for 26.2 miles and when that is over, your body knows it and is done. What an amazing feeling though. I cried and laughed and was on a high...I'm still on a high.
My wonderful family. This marathon was for them also because everyone in my little family sacrificed so that I could get my runs in daily.
I decided that since we just found out that my mom was going to be ok that I would dedicate this race to her. So, I made this shirt and when times were tough, I thought of finishing for her because she fought for me.
The whole crew that came to support me. R-L: Brooke, Dad, Hailee, Mom, Brooklyn, Me, Lou, Tom, Kenzie and Ben. It was amazing and such a boost to see loved ones cheering me on just when I needed a boost. It was really sweet to see my Dad with big tears in his eyes everytime he met me at different mile markers because he was so proud of me. That made my day. I have the best family in the world. How cool it was to share such an amazing moment with them. After the race my mom gave me a note from my sister, Jenn. She couldn't be there but she thought of me and sent a sweet note congratulating me. I also saw Cassie as we were leaving to go to lunch. Thanks Cass for coming to support me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Go Michelle! It was a great experience for us to go and cheer you on. You've become a motivation for all of us! I'll take you up on the triathlon...I think:) That one actually sounds somewhat doable (unlike a marathon!)
Wahoo! congratulations! We heard your name on the loud speakers too! Scott came in at 4:15, and we were so excited to hear you had made it! Good Job!
Michelle, I just cried while I read your post! You are such an inspiration to all of us! I went to your sister's blog, I love the pictures of the trees changing. I can't believe your ipod was dead...I think that makes your run all the more impressive! Congratulations!
What a great thing!! I am so inspired by you!! Way to go!!
Way to go Meesh! You look fantastic!!!
Congratulations Michelle! You're awesome! What a major accomplishment to train for and run 26.2 miles!! We're so proud of you! Josh and I know what you're feeling...exhiliration and pain! :) Josh ran the TOU marathon too and got almost the exact same time. But, you beat him by about 15 seconds! :) (I ran the Deseret News marathon, and I won't even embarrass myself, by telling you how many minutes you beat me!) Way to go!! Wish we could have been there to cheer you on! BTW, I LOVE the shirt you made for your mom!
All I can say is WOW! You are awesome. I would love to go to Costa Vida with you someday and hear more about it.
Wow Michelle, I am so proud of you. I got tears in my eyes reading your re-cap. You are an inspiration!
congrats! We are so proud of you! What a accomplishment! You kicked butt! Love you Michelle!
Michelle, I cried too! You are such an inspiration to me! I am so proud of you and all you do. You are so amazing to fit in all the training and preparation you did with 2 small kids to care for. You gave me a little lift, and have motivated me to try a little harder. I am so happy for you and such an amzing accomplishment that you will have with you forever! Way to go girl!
woohoo!!!
Post a Comment