Thursday, February 19, 2009

Potty training....not to be BUT THERE IS HOPE!

So, on Tuesday I was all gun ho about potty training. I had EVERYTHING ready. I was excited. The only problem was that I didn't have willing participants. As soon as Brooklyn woke up for the morning I showed her her chart, showed her the stickers, showed her the treats, had her go into the bathroom and ....meltdown. She threw a full on tantrum. She ALWAYS wants to go potty. She goes in there like 5 times a day! Well, she wouldn't have it. I gave her special drinks and put underwear on her. She wouldn't even go near the bathroom. Instead, she hid and would go potty there. Ok, I'm no dummy...(don't respond to that comment.:)) she's not ready. I get that. After 4 hours I gave up. It just wasn't worth it. So, instead of potty training, I gathered up ALL of the binkies and snipped the tops of them. My fabulous sister-in-law Maaret gave me the idea. I let the girls help me and they thought it was great. For some reason I was in one of those moods where I was going to accomplish something with them! Yes, the house was a mess and I could have just said I am going to accomplish the task of cleaning it, but I was so bummed out that potty training didn't work that I went to the next thing on my list. Anyhow, the girls tried the binkies and kept touching the tops of them like, "what the heck is this?" Brooklyn kept saying, "It's broken, Mommy. Fix it." I told her that we were big girls now and didn't need a binky. She didn't buy into that. She left the room all determined then came back with a bandaid. She tried to put the bandaid on the binky and said, "Not working, Mommy. Still broken. Fix it." Then she said, "Pleaaaaaasee, mommy". then gave me a big hug. I had to hold in the laughs and I told her that I would try. I also felt bad for her. This was a major part of her life and I just took it away. What a mean mom I am. I put the bandaid on it and it just didn't work. For the next couple of hours they moped around, cried and kept trying the binkies. It was hilarious, but I also felt bad. I have dreaded doing this for a long time because I just want them to be happy. Selfish me did this in the morning so I still had to get through naps AND bedtime. Naps weren't too bad. Kenzie went right down, but Brooklyn kept calling for her binkie. I let her sleep with Momma's pillow and she thought that was pretty cool. The rest of the day they asked for them, moped around a little, but overall, a pretty painless thing....for me. Poor sweeties may never recoup. So, we are binky free! YEAH!!! The best part is that we don't have to turn the house upside down just to find a stinkin' binky AND everyone survived the whole process...barely.

6 comments:

The Barker Clan said...

Yeah! One thing down! Potty training is never easy. I do think it is true that they will do it when they are ready, sometimes it just isn't when you are ready :)

Dacia said...

Yay! One thing at a time! She'll be ready soon enough. Mikelle potty trained outside.We put her little potty outside and she was just happy to be there. She also loved to sit and watch movies on her potty. Kass was easy. She just wanted to wear pretty panties and potttrained in 2 days. They are all different.

Anonymous said...

Well, that is a big accomplishment! Congrats! Life is so much better when you no longer have to search for them. I always feel bad too. I wanted so badly to give Sophie a binky when she was sick last week, She could have really used some soothing. But it has been about 6 months, so I couldn't cave in. Getting rid of binkies in ONE DAY is somthing to be proud of! You did great.

Laura said...

Ya, last night she kept asking for it. I finally gave her one. Just kidding, she forgot about it and then moved it. Go Michelle!

andrea wardle said...

Ugh. I think I had a harder time getting rid of the binki than my kids did (weaning ME)! The hardest part is about a week afterwards when they get really cranky... you are tempted to hit the store for another pack ( *be strong! don't do it* ) It won't be long before they forget it all together. Potty training is a big step... and they all work so differently. Good luck with that and hopefully next time you try they'll catch on!

Unknown said...

congrats on the binky's. i am very nervous about taking andys away (he only gets them at nap and bedtime, and hes learned they stay in the crib.) but im waiting until after the baby comes because it took SOO Long for him to go to bed on his own im paranoid about risking an upset to his schedule... so good job! your brave!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker