Wednesday, February 25, 2009
The love of a stranger
There isn't a day that goes by where I don't have a deep appreciation for adoption and the adoption process of a child. Each time we are out and about it doesn't fail where someone asks if my girls are twins. I usually comment that they aren't. Then they ask how far apart they are. I then tell them 7 months. You can probably guess the reactions I get. Anyhow, about a week ago I was at Walmart with my girls and the lady in front of me proceeded to ask the above questions. Then I told her that we were blessed to adopt then 7 months later give birth. She immediately gave me a huge grin and said how blessed I was. We got to talking and she told me that she had 6 of her own children and that she adopted her last child from Korea and what a neat process it was. It was my turn to checkout so she asked if I would talk to her after checking out. I agreed. Her adopted child is now 19 so this lady is probably my parents age. Anyhow, we talked for a good 15 minutes about our adoption stories and each shed a tear. It was really neat. Then, she told me that she had something for me. She said that she had been waiting for the right person to come along so that she could give it to them. She asked for my address so that she could mail it. I gave her my address and come to find out she only lives a couple of subdivisions down the way from me. Anyhow, it was just last night where I was thinking about her and actually telling a friend about my neat experience at Walmart. So, today she called me and wondered if she could drop by. She just left maybe 15 minutes ago. What she gave me was a book where you fill in the spots for different things that have happened with our adoption story. I was really touched by this strangers love and thoughtfulness. It is really special how adoption has brought strangers into our lives and we are better because of them. When you adopt a child you not only receive a beautiful child, but you are also blessed with having in your life the wonderful people that have placed this child into your home, others who have adopted themselves, and people that just genuinely care about the adoption process. I am a better person because of something I thought was a trial (infertility, not Brooklyn:)). It just goes to show you that the Lord knows us and makes our weaknesses our strengths.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Very True. Brooklyn is a blessing (even when she's a monkey). I'm glad you adopted!
I have a little brother who is adopted and I know how awesome it is the life he was able to have with my family compared to where he came from.
What a great story! Thanks for sharing!
Isn't it nice to be able to share with someone who's been there too? What a great story. Grandma babysat a little girl when they lived with us. I can't even tell you how attached we became to her. We didn't adopt obviously but it's amazing how you can have soooo much love for someone so small. I know that she was there at that time for a purpose. Her dad still sees grandma more than most of her children.
That is a really cool story. You are so awesome Michelle. I really look up to you:) You are an awesome example to me.
What a neat story! Thanks for sharing. You are an inspiring Mom. I'm glad Brooklyn is in your family! :) She's a doll!
Post a Comment