Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Did you say BEAR?

So, last night we went dipnetting at Chinaput (some waterfalls off the shore of Homer). While there we caught 27 salmon. We had a lot of fun dipnetting and snagging (yes, legally snagging salmon). The highlight of my night was when I was dipnetting. I was at the mouth of the falls when all of a sudden I hear dogs freaking out. I just thought they were fighting over a fish or something so I didn't think about it. Then I heard people yelling at me. I just thought they were excited over some fish too. So, again, I kept dipnetting. Then all of a sudden they all yelled in unison.."BEAR". I turned around and the black bear was about 50 feet from me. My heart started racing and I calmly turned around and briskly walked towards safety. While I was walking I kept thinking of what I was supposed to do in case I encounter a bear. My mind went blank. I just knew I wasn't supposed to run or be confrontational. I also never looked back to see if I was being chased or if the bear was gone. I just knew I was a gonner if he went after me and I wanted to go out in style by not freaking. I can pretend I'm brave right? Side note...is gonner a word? It just doesn't look right. :) Anyway, the bear left and we were all safe. I'm happy to be reporting this to you because it means I am alive. Now, looking back on the experience I'm surprised I didn't freak out. I knew I was going to be all right. It sure was an eye opener to me. So, in case we see another bear and things don't quite turn out all right...I love you guys. :)

4 comments:

Laura said...

Michelle! Good grief. Ben and I are cracking up over the fact that you were just enjoying yourself and totally oblivious. BE SAFE! We want you back alive:)

Anonymous said...

You have officially had the bear encounter that most Alaska tourists are waiting for! HAHAHA! I would have peed my pants! I can't believe you stayed so calm! Love you too!

Brady and Jess said...

We heard on the news last night that a Utah woman was attacked by a bear i Alaska. The first thing I said was, I hope it wasn't Michelle! That is sooo ironic! Miss you guys, wish we were still in AK, too! Jess (pooley) Balls
bradyandjess.blogspot.com

Krystal said...

Scary!! and Lucky!! Those are the only two words I can think of to describe this. Scary to be that close to a bear, and lucky to be alive!

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker